Wednesday, June 22, 2011

6/22 Kobe, Japan

Well, I'm here. I had quite a surprise at the San Francisco airport while drinking my 6th espresso of the day. I ran into my friend Diane Fukuda there. She was on the same plane to Japan. I didn't expect to meet anyone from Jaffrey here! I stayed awake for the whole, interminable flight and  we made it through customs and immigration. Jumped on a bus from Kansai, the trash island upon which the airport is built, to Kobe, where we are staying. The route took us along the coast road around the city of Osaka, Japan's second largest city and its industrial heart. It is one big ugly city!
We arrived at our hotel, the Hotel Okura Kobe , The rooms are large and comfortable. My first stop was to check out the toilet. Yes, Japanese toilets are everything they promised.I am on the 21st floor with sweeping views of the harbor (when the fog clears).
What a dashboard!

We went to a rooftop restaurant at a near by hotel for dinner and I had Kobe beef as well as sushi and sashimi and scallops tempura.


1 comment: