Tuesday, July 12, 2011

6/26 Homestay & Exploring the nightlife with Ed, Terri, Jess and Yoyo

Breakfast!

Mr. & Mrs. Ooura


The Zen garden from the road

I helped build that bamboo frame!
Chez Ooura
I woke up feeling very well rested. I took advantage of the Zen Garden and meditated for an hour while looking out onto the old trees. The family woke up and I joined them for an extraordinary, huge, breakfast. Then Ooura-san and I took the little poodle for a walk. Then we went for a drive to see his rice paddies.

We came back to the house and then worked in the garden. I picked cucumbers and eggplants. Then I helped build a frame to grow melons on.


Next was lunch. We all got in the car and drove off to the most amazing sushi place. I had never seen such a beautiful display of fresh fish and shellfish. We sat around the counter and watched the sushi sensei prepare his wares. We were given a bowl of dashi with various seafood in it. Everything was fantasti,c especially the crab sushi which must've had nearly half a pound of crab on it.

It was now nearly time to go back to the hotel. As we drove away from the sushi place Mrs.Ooura had an idea. We stopped at a store with beautiful handmade sweets that were made of mochi surrounding flavored fresh cream. Mrs. Ooura selected a variety of sweets and we got back in the car. We stopped at the house to pick up my luggage and Mrs. Ooura presented me with a huge box of this cream filled candy with a warning you must eat it today!

I cannot express my appreciation for this lovely family and their generosity in sharing their home and way of life with me.

Back at the hotel I met up with Robin and Leighanne. We decided to explore together and they agreed to help me eat all my candy. It was delicious. We walked towards the castle but then I realized that I wouldn't be back in time to meet my appointment for dinner. So I left them to explore the Keruoken gardens.
Sushi

Sushi

Mrs. Ooura, me, Mr. Ooura


Candy Store

Sushi Sensei

Candy store

Candy Store

No comments:

Post a Comment